Ontario Government $810 Million Investment In Developmental Services
In the 2014 budget, the Ontario Government committed to investing $810 million in the community and developmental services systems, over three years. This investment is to support the goal of helping people with developmental disabilities to be as fully included in the fabric of their communities and to live as independently as possible.
The investment will:
- deliver direct funding to approximately 8,000 children and 13,000 adults, to eliminate waitlists for the Special Services at Home Program in two years, and the Passport Program in four years
- fund residential supports and support community living for 1,400 people
- provide planning, transition and navigation support to help 4,200 people map out their futures
- provide additional funding to agencies and frontline workers
- promote service innovation and modernization across the developmental services sector
To learn more about this investment click here.
Developmental Services Ontario (DSO)
As of July of 2011, access to adult developmental services is be managed by Developmental Services Ontario (DSO), a service that is administered by nine designated DSO organizations across the province. In the Central East Region the DSO is administered by York Support Services Network (YSSN)
The DSO is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services.
Ontario’s supports are based upon the legislated principles of citizenship fairness and equity, accessibility and portability, safety and security, accountability and sustainability. All nine regional contact points identify adults who are eligible for developmental services and supports, help to assess a person’s level of need by utilizing standardized measures and assist families and individuals in understanding the developmental service’s system.
The DSO is:
- The single point of contact for information and application to the ministry-funded adult developmental services
- Applying the new eligibility criteria
- Uses a common application package to assess support needs, so that people are treated consistently across the province no matter where they live
- Links people to services and supports
DSO Contact Information:
|Toronto Region:||Surrey Place Centre Developmental Services
|Central East Region:||York Support Services Network
While all the information bulletins refer to individuals 18 years of age, Reena strongly recommends that families place their names on the DSO register NOW if your child is 16 or older.
While families must register with the DSO, Reena is always available to answer any questions and to help in the planning process for family members in every way possible. Please contact James Sejjengo, Resource Manager Residential & Family Supports at (905) 889.2690 x2045 with your comments or questions.
A Settlement Fund
Province of Ontario established a Settlement Fund to provide compensation to those people who were residents of three Regional Centres and suffered harm.
Click here to learn more.
MYS Resource Toolkit for Parents of Children with ASD
As part of its efforts to enhance the services available to parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) in Ontario, the Ministry of Children and Youth Services (MCYS) has developed a Resource Toolkit for parents of children with ASD.
To view the Autism Resource Tool Kit click here.