- be 18 years of age or older
- have a diagnosis of Intellectual or Developmental Disability
- want to learn how to travel alone in the community
- commit to attending one 2.5 hour class a week for 8 weeks or two 2.5 hours class a week for 4 weeks
- commit to learning a new transit route with an instructor
- there will be up to 35 hours of route training to learn one round trip
- towards the end of the training, the instructor will follow the participant from a distance once they are confident that the participant can travel the route on their own
Participation in the program is FREE and includes complimentary transit fare. The first part of the program features 8 classes which will include street safety, instruction on how to use the bus, subway and streetcar, route planning, personal safety and what to do in an emergency. The second part of the program will teach the participant how to travel a route of their choice with one on one instruction in the community from a Travel Training Coordinator.